May 23, 2011

Sun. May 22...Day 6

Day 6 May 22, 2011

Rough Seas !!  That’s how I would name our day today. When I got up this morning I took three steps forward and two back, just to catch my balance and that was still in the stateroom. On deck the only way to walk was to hang on to the railings and walls and weave back and forth with the roll of the ship.

Mike went and walked outside in the fog and mist with the ship’s foghorns working. By the time Emily and I got up there the fog had lifted. We tried to find a place inside to sit but it seemed everyone
had the same idea we did: stay inside out of the cold.


Yes, my motion sickness did kick in.  And by the middle of the afternoon I was very teary-eyed and light headed. No real nausea, though. The ship kind of rolls and jostles and reminds me a lot of the
movement of a plane during turbulence. The only thing is that it is constant!!

Since there was so much movement Mike and Emily decided to go to the exercise room and try it out. I met up with them there. But there is only one problem, for me, the gym is at the very front of the ship and overlooks the ocean. But there they were doing their exercises.

Mike on the treadmill. Yes, that is the water horizon in front of him!!
 Emily doing her leg raises. 
 
She also did the sit down stationary bike. She was on her own and nobody bothered her. She really
enjoyed that.

We went to supper, which is at the back of the boat and it was very bumpy. I made it through the main course and then had to go back to the room. Mike and Emily finished supper and then went and watched a performance.

There was a little bit of excitement on board tonight as the fire alarm went off. The 2nd officer came on the intercom and said that a fire had been detected in the forward lounge area. They asked all of the fire crew to go to their stations. I opened my door and watched as our room stewards put on their fire helmets and bright orange jackets. I didn’t have the camera as Mike had it to take pictures at the performance.  About 20 minutes later, the captain came on and said that it was a false alarm. It
seems, because of the wind, some of the stage smoke had blown into the ventilation system and set off the alarm. So in 20 minutes it was all over.

I didn’t get a sunset picture tonight since I wasn’t upstairs at all after supper. But here is a picture of what Mike was looking at when he was on the treadmill.
 
Good night from the North Atlantic!!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Praying the sea and weather calm down so you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. Love you! Oh, what happened to Emily's critter????