May 26, 2011

Tuesday, May 24...Day 8

Day 8 May 24, 2011

It really is a good thing they change the rug in the elevator. It is so hard to keep track of what day it is. For some reason, all day today seemed like Sunday. Yet, we really didn’t do anything different today than we had done every day. In fact, I almost feel like writing, “see yesterday”. After one full week at sea, we really are “in a rut”, doing mostly the same things around the same hours, with the same people, same scenery etc, etc. I’m not complaining. No, really I’m not. But we’re used to being much busier. I guess, in the end, we’re the kind of people who aren’t really cut out for loooong vacations.

The ocean is still pretty rough.  At noon when the captain came on with his daily update, he said that he was glad that yesterday he had changed course from NE to E. Because the waves to the north were 8 meter waves. That’s over 24ft. We were very glad too. While we were eating dinner last night the sun came out through the clouds. It was the first we had seen the sun in about 4 days. The ocean had calmed down some so we didn’t weave as much as we walked but it was still a good idea to hold on.

Mike and Emily went to the weight/exercise room again this morning. Mike told me that Emily is so funny. She does every single machine there except the treadmill (which is the one that looks out over the ocean). She sure gets the look-over from the other people participating but she does it anyway.  Her new favorite is the rowing machine.

While they are working up a sweat, I’m trying to understand the computer guy in the computer class. He told us today that Holland America Line is the only cruise line that offers free computer classes. On any other cruise line it would cost around $250-$300 for 3 classes. It is so good that it is free, here. I’ve taken the same classes over a couple of times and learn something new each time. Yesterday was about editing photos. I was able to erase a dead tree from the foreground of a picture I took from the car window. It is great.  Needless to say, that wasn’t a picture from the cruise :) 

Dinner was formal again. We will have at least one more formal night. We’re not sure when. From Thursday on we will be in port (a different port) each day until we get off. I’m thinking it will be on Sunday since the ship will lift anchor at 4:00 pm that day. But it is just a guess. Emily is learning how to let people serve her.




After dinner we went to another performance. It was a comedian this time. He interacted with the audience quite a bit and even had a lady come up and do an act with him. You’ll never guess what the lady’s name was: Elva. Each time he said her name I looked up. It is so strange to hear my name when the person isn’t talking to me.

Emily had sore feet from new shoes, so we took her back to the room . Then Mike and I went out on the deck. The wind was quite strong so we didn’t stay out too long.

Another one of Emily’s fun animals.
 
It, too, was made with two towels.  A bath towel for the body and a hand towel for the head and ears.  We took it apart slowly to see how it was made. They are really rolled tightly to make the head and ears.  Very interesting!!

Good night as we approach the eastern edge of the Atlantic Ocean!!

1 comment:

Farrells three said...

LOVE the pictures of you and dad looking out the windows!!!!