May 23, 2011

Sat. May 21...Day 5

Day 5 May 21, 2011

Saturday started out as any ordinary day, at sea or otherwise. We had to do some wash. Yesterday we had looked around the ship and found the three self-service laundries. There is one on 2nd deck, 3rd deck and 6th deck. We had looked at the one on 6th deck. There were two washers and dryers. But since we are on 1st deck we went to the one on 2nd deck (which is actually called Main deck).  It cost $2.00 for a wash and $1.00 for a 45 minute dryer.  It’s actually pretty neat because the soap is included in the price.  You just push a button and the soap is added to the load.

While I was working on the wash Mike and Emily did their daily constitutional outside on the Lower Promenade deck. It had cooled off even though the sun was shining. It was only in the low 60’s today and there was a wind. We sat outside and read but then got a little chilly.

At lunch today we were placed at a table right at the window. We got to watch the water while we ate our lunch. We even saw a fish skimming the surface of the water.  It was really neat. We had wondered just last night, when we might be able to have a window seat.  Unfortunately when the waiter took our picture he must have put a dirty finger on the lens. That’s why Emily and I are blurry in the picture. I had noticed that his hands were dirty (whipped cream or ice cream or something) when I gave him the camera but I didn’t realize that he had touched the lens.


 We lost another hour in the middle of the afternoon, today. The activities director came on the loud speaker and said: “ Roses are red, Oceans are blue, It is now 3 instead of 2”.

I went to another computer class in the afternoon. I have to quit going, though. It is confusing me instead of helping. This guy, whose name just happens to be Aiden, is very good, especially with us older people. But he gives out so much information that it is hard to understand all of it. What is nice is that he has the same classes four or five times in the course of the cruise. The other bad thing is that because internet is so expensive, we can’t afford to pay for it and put into practice a lot of the things he is telling us to use on the internet.

The evening meal was a formal dress meal again. We got dressed up, not formally but like for a deputation meeting. A lot of the women on the ship look like they are wearing the dresses that they might have worn to their grand daughter’s wedding, if you understand what I mean.


 After dinner we went to another performance. This time we went to a guitar concert with the Adaggio string quartet and the HAL (Holland America Line) Cats orchestra.  The guitarist’s name is Justin Miller. He was excellent. He played classical, mandolin and electric guitar. It was a very good concert.

Mike and I broke down and decided to buy some internet minutes so that we could see if there was anything important that we had to take care of. That is why you finally received some information
from us.

Mike said he wanted to get a picture of me since I’m always the one taking the picture (9:00 at night).


Emily and her nightly critter!!

 Goodnight from the mid-Atlantic!!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I loved seeing more pictures of the different areas on the boat, like the "computer" room. So cool...you should go around the ship and just take tons of pictures of everything. I bet eating lunch next to the window was awesome!!!