May 10, 2012

A dress for a princess!!

A week or so ago I was talking to Elizabeth on Skype.  She asked me if I could make a princess dress for Morgan.  Morgan is extra tall for her age so it is hard to fit store-bought costumes on her even if they could find store bought costumes in Chile.  I told her I would look through the material that I have on hand and see if I had something that I could use.

A week ago Mike and I cleaned up the garage and in the process I opened up the boxes of material and looked through them to see what I could come up with.  I found a piece of sheer fabric that would be perfect for the overdress but I didn't have any lining.

I was so excited to find a fabric store, similar to one we had in Reims.  Fortunately, for our wallets, it is on the North side of Rouen and takes about 35 minutes to get there (instead of 5 minutes in Reims).  But still, a fabric store!!!!  Mike and I drove up there and found the perfect, PINK, fabric.  Even though the deep purple would have been much prettier, pink "satin" is a better choice for a 6 year old princess.  I had a pattern from a series of little girls dresses that I made for a wedding in 1997.

Now it was time to get to work.  Elizabeth asked me to take pictures of the process to show Morgan.  I tried.  But sometimes the sewing got ahead of the pictures.  Enjoy!!
A pile of pink "satin"
laying out the underskirt

cutting it out
a lot of material
and the overskirt
Better look at the instructions!!

The top is almost done (still needs the sleeves)
That was all I was able to do the first day.  I can't spend hours in front of the sewing machine anymore.  My back gives out on me.
first ruffle. . .check

second ruffle. . . check
bottom ruffle. . .check

sleeves. . .check
adding the skirt to the top
The skirt is made, the sleeves are in and now all we have to do is put it all together.  Et voilà. . .
Front

back
So what do you think???  Will our soon to be 6 year old grand-daughter like it?     
                                      Happy Birthday, Morgan!!
Morgan Elizabeth Thompson

3 comments:

Esther said...

It's beautiful!!! You are amazing!!! I'm sure she will love it!

Dan & Elizabeth Thompson said...

I already told you but you deserve MORE compliments on your amazing work on the sewing machine! Morgan will love her princess dress! Thanks so much. Love you, Elizabeth

Kathy said...

It's a little girl's dream dress. Great job. Let's see how long this tomboy can wear it before she gets it dirty. :)