Jun 19, 2013

Rouen Armada 2013

Every five years is the Armada in Rouen.  This year was the sixth armada there has been.  It was from June 6-16th. The tall ships starting coming in a couple of days before it started.  It was interesting to watch all of the excitement and reports on the television.  They did special reports from different ships each day and also talked about everything that went into the good fonctioning of the Armada (security, trash pick-up, missing/lost persons, etc).

I went in town on Friday to see the ships up close at the quais in Rouen.  It was really interesting.  The whole time I was in town I was thinking how much Dad would enjoy seeing all of this.  And then when I saw the pirate ships I thought of my grandsons.  I'm sure they would have loved to go aboard, which you could do, and check out all of the hidden corners.

That day I walked about 6 kimometres.  It was a beautiful day, not too hot.  There were lots of people too.  I crossed two different bridges.  One of the bridges is one that rises so the big boats can go through it.  I didn't see it up but I took a picture of the television when they showed it up.  I hope you can get an idea.

Here are a bunch of pictures.  I hope you enjoy the visit of the 2013 Rouen Armada!!



Flaubert bridge down.  I walked across this brige

Underneath the Flaubert bridge

Trash boat.  They picked up the trash from the boats in port.  

Dar Mlodziezy--Poland

pump boat

Canons on the Etoile du Roy 

Etoile du Roy--France

Shabab Oman--Oman

Tolkien---Pays Bas


Shtandart--Russia


Mutin--France  Anybody want to touch a pompom??

Belem--France

People, people, people

Looking back to the Flaubert bridge from the Guillaume le Conquerant bridge
The Faubert bridge. . .up! (taken from the televsion)

The Armada ended with the Grand Parade.  We were able to see it about 6 kilometres from home.  It started early.  We got to the river (Seine) and to the place that we had picked out ahead of time around 8:00 in the morning and got there in time to see the very first ship that left Rouen.  We were in a non-official place so we didn't have any official announcers.  But right next to us were 4 families and in all there were 11 children.  They announced when the ships were coming.  It lasted about 3 and a half hours.  Very interesting.  Again there were lots of people.  

See the "spot" on the map before the turn of the river?  That's where we were!  120 km of river from Rouen to Le Havre and the English Channel.
Our spot.  At the top of the ramp of a river ferry to get to the other side of the river.  The first boat (police boat)

Here they come!!
3 masts  Tenacious--England

2 masts  Mercedes--Netherlands

Pirate ship  Gotheborg--Sweden

Mutin--France

Loth Lorien--Netherlands

Santa Maria Manuela--Portugal

people all along the river on both sides

Estimated at 2 million

Real distance

zoomed in  Etoile du Roy--France

When our "annoncers"  saw this boat they said "that isn't even a boat!!"  We got a good laugh out of that. 

Our announcers!!

Dar Mlodziezy-- Poland

Shabab Oman--Oman

Cuauhtemoc--Mexico  See the sailors on the masts??  

Singing the whole way!!


Marité--France

Stad Amsterdam--Netherlands

Tolkien--Netherlands

Even the swans wanted to get in the act!  They're going the wrong way, though!

Sages II--Portugal


Belem--France


Mir--Russia

Russian Pirate ship

Artemis--Netherlands

Monge--Radar ship--France  (Real size)




Atlantis--Neteherlands



1 comment:

Esther said...

WOW, our family would have loved to be there and watch! So interesting!!!