Jul 16, 2012

Flowers!!

Rain. . . rain. . .  rain!!!  

While they have been sweltering in the United States and in the South of France, here in Normandy we have been having rainy cool weather.  Not that I'm complaining.  I LOVE the cooler weather.  The rain hasn't, for the most part, been constant.  It has just rained everyday for about a month now.  The last time we had hot weather as the week before my surgery. 
Beautiful sky



One nice thing about the rain is that I haven't had to water the flowers.  I have figured out that impatiens do NOT like rainy weather.  At least not the amount of rain that we've had.  All of the impatiens that I planted died.  The other thing that I've lost because of the rain are my peppers.  The plants are doing fine but the little peppers that had started growing have fallen off because their stems rotted right on the plants.

The rest of the flowers are doing great.  Especially the hydrangea.  When we first looked at the house last year the hydrangea was pretty.  In the Spring I looked up in our gardening book to see how to take care of it.  I cut it all back.  When it first started getting green I thought I had done something wrong because there was only one flower.  And then the flowers really started coming out. 
Last year
A couple of weeks ago

Yesterday
 I also planted another hydrangea in a flower pot in the backyard.  The first flower that came out is a pinkish purple even though they are suppoed to be pink.  It is so pretty.

Two flowers. . .One plant!!
I also planted some roses.  They haven't done very well.  But the few roses that we have had are beautiful.



Our lavendar is coming.  Of the three plants that I have, the one that I brought from Reims is flowering.  The other two will probably flower within the next week or so, if the weather warms up.


We are supposed to be getting more normal temperatures this week.  We'll see.  

2 comments:

Kathy said...

You remind me of mom with your love for beautiful flowers. Good to hear from you again on your blog.

Wow, sure makes a difference to cut back the flowers. I think I will do that to my Rose of Sharon bushes.

I thought about the spiritual principal of God pruning us so we will be healthier.

Love you. Sure wish we could take a walk.

Kathy said...

I mean principle (I always remember the saying that a principal is your pal at school.)