Jun 19, 2012

Soooo. . .What's been going on?

Let's see.  The last time I wrote was Mother's day, the day I went into the hospital.  That was two weeks ago.  To bring you up to date.  The surgery took place on Monday morning.  I was the first one on the list which was very nice.  I went down to surgery at 7:30 and was back in my room by 1:30.  This time seemed so much different from the first hip surgery in 2010.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  There are several things that were different this time, different hospital, different surgeon, different kind of anesthesia, a morphine pump, 50 pounds less weight on my part.  I really don't know.  But by the next day not only was I up, without any dizziness, I walked the hall with the physical therapist.  Two days later I was getting in and out of bed on my own.  And even walking around the room with only one crutch.  I was home 9 days after surgery and still feeeling good.

The view from my bed.
Proof!!
 Oh I have my moments.  When I overdo and really have pain.  Or when I drop something and can't bend down and pick it up.  Frustration brings tears etc., etc.

Mike and Emily came and visited me everyday.  I expected Mike but for some reason I wasn't expecting Emily to come.  She brought her coloring books and sat at the little table that was in the room.  I had a few visitors from the church in Rouen and also some from the church in Mantes, several telephone calls and lots of facebook messages.  I feel so loved.
 I arrived home on Tuesday, a week ago.  Things have been going well here.  It is nice to be home.  Mike and Emily have been taking real good care of me.

Sunday was Emily's birthday and Father's Day.  Emily was up bright and early.  Most of the time we have to wake her up in the morning.  I think she must have been excited about her birthday.  She was up at 8:00.  We had a quiet morning.  Then Mike and Emily went out to a restaurant for lunch at noon.  Emily had decided ahead of time what restaurant she wanted to go to.  I didn't feel like I could get in and out of the car.
Up even before the "nightlight" went off.
Time for presents.

Just for my girls.

A book!

Fancy wrapping paper.

New pajamas

Rings!
 When they got home we had birthday presents and birthday strawberry shortcake.  In all, I think Emily had a good day.  A funny thing happened when I went to find the birthday candles.  I couldn't find them.  In fact, I NEVER found them (which by the way brought a flood of tears at the time :)).  They must still be in a box somewhere.  We haven't unpacked all of the kitchen boxes since we are waiting until we get the new kitchen.  She ended up having a tea light on her birthday strawberry shortcake.  But she didn't mind as long as she had something to blow out.
Happy birthday dear Emily . . .

Happy birthday to you!
 We did celebrate Father's Day too.  Emily gave Mike a pair of slippers.  And we had already started eating the rhubarb pie that I made him for his Father's Day "cake".
What is it ?

I love you, Papa!!

That brings you up to date.  Until next time . . .

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I was happy to finally have time to sit down and read your blog. I have been very busy since Dan broke his legs and Becky will be moving soon.

I'm so happy your hip surgery went so well this time.

Enjoyed the pictures of life in the Farrell household. Emily is a blessing!

Esther said...

Loved the blog!!!! That picture of Emily on the couch with her legs crossed is so good!!! Glad to see you up and walking..you're amazing!!!! Love you!