Apr 22, 2012

"Le devoir civique"

Today was voting day here in France.  At least for the first round of the presidential election.  Here in France the elections are always done in two times.  For the presidential elections, two weeks separate the two "tours".  The candidates have to gather 500 signatures from Mayors and other elected officials.  They can declare themselves as candidates but if they don't get the 500 signatures they aren't on the final ballots.  This time there were 10 official candidates for the first time around.  This first vote picks the final candidates.  If one of the candidates gets more than 50% of the vote he or she is elected the first time around.  But that hardly ever happens.  And it is usually between top two candidates.

We registered to vote once we moved to Grand Couronne.  Anyone who had never been registered or had moved, had to register before December 31 of last year to be able to vote in this election.  We received our cards in March.  On it was the address of the place where we would go to vote.

We went this morning just after the voting place opened.  And we weren't even the first ones there.  When you walk in, you hand your card to the person sitting there and pick up the individual papers one for each candidate.  And the envelope to put your choice in.  Then you go and vote.  You put your choice in the envelope and either take the others home with you to throw away or throw them away right there.  Then you go out hand your card to the person by the urne.  She reads the number and another person reads your name.  You put your envelope in the ballot box which is clear (it is the law) and the person behind pushes the button which makes the envelope fall in and she says "a voté"  has voted!!  Then you sign your name and they stamp your card and give it back to you.




Quite the process but very interesting.

Mike was already out in the car when I took some more pictures.  When I came out there was a man who shook my hand, and asked me how I was.  I asked him, if I knew him.  He said "I'm the mayor of Grand-Couronne".  WOW!!  I shook the hand of our mayor and on the first time I participated in a vote in France.  Pretty neat!!

And they results are (estimation):




Now we have two weeks until the second time.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Yay for a new experience!!! Pretty neat that you got to shake the Mayor's hand! Loved all the pictures!